Election Information - November 3, 2020
Offices to be Elected:
- Mayor Jeff Lee – 2-year term (December 2020 through December 2022)
- Council Member Karen Bright – 4-year term (December 2020 through December 2024)
- Council Member Desi Lance – 4-year term (December 2020 through December 2024)
- Council Member Barbara Nicolls (resigned) - 2-year term (December 2020 through December 2022)
The following individuals have filed their Form 501: "Candidate Intention Statement:"
(In Ballot Order)
Karen Bright - Council Member - 4 Year Term (Incumbent) (Qualified)
Will Bruce - Council Member - 4 Year Term (Qualified)
Joseph Holmes - Council Member - 4 Year Term (Qualified)
Anna Miller - Council Member - 4 Year Term (Qualified)
Daniel Rushing - Council Member - 4 Year Term (Qualified)
Fred Buenrostro Jr - Council Member - 2 Year Term (Qualified)
David Duringer - Council Member - 2 Year Term (Qualified)
Robert Robert - Council Member - 2 Year Term (Qualified)
Kara Ramirez - Council Member - 2 Year Term (Qualified - Write In Candidate)
- Nomination period opens: July 13, 2020, 8:00 a.m.
- Standard nomination period closes (deadline to file papers): August 7, 2020, 5:00 p.m.
- Extended nomination period closes (deadline to file for a seat if the incumbent does not file): August 12, 2020, 5:00 p.m.
- Deadline to register to vote: October 19, 2020*
- Election Day: November 3, 2020
Nomination Process and Campaign Filing Requirements:
- Candidate Intention Statement: FPPC Form 501. Prospective candidates must file an intention statement prior to raising money or seeking nomination. It can be filed anytime.
- Nomination: To run for office you must first be nominated. Per Election Code 10407, the nomination filing period is July 13, 2020 (113th day before the election) through August 7, 2020. If an eligible incumbent does not file, there will be an extended filing period to August 12, 2020.
- Nomination Paper Issuance - Appointments Required: The Election Official (The City Clerk) is the only person authorized to furnish nomination papers. Due to COVID-19, Appointments for Nomination issuance are Required! Please contact the City Clerk to make an appointment. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org Phone (805) 473-4568.
- Fund Raising: After filing FPPC Form 501, should a candidate begin to raise funds or expend personal funds for their campaign, they must also file an originally signed FPPC Form 410 with the Secretary of State within 10 days of receiving $2,000. Note: There is a $50 filing fee to the Secretary of State and a copy of the form must be submitted to the Clerk’s office.
Instructions for the FPPC forms are on the first page of each form. Please read the instructions carefully and thoroughly. FPPC forms can be mailed to the City Clerk, City of Grover Beach, 154 S. Eighth Street, Grover Beach, CA 93433. To drop off forms in person, or for questions, contact Wendi Sims, City Clerk – (805) 473-4568, email@example.com.
For more information on the proposed one-cent (or 1.0%) local transactions and use-tax ("sales tax) visit Measure F-20.
The California Secretary of State is now offering Where’s My Ballot?—a new way for voters to track and receive notiﬁcations on the status of their vote-by-mail ballot. Powered by BallotTrax, Where’s My Ballot? lets voters know where their ballot is, and its status, every step of the way. Sign-up at WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov to receive automatic email, SMS (text), or voice call notiﬁcations about your ballot.
*Voter Eligibility and Registration
In order to be eligible to vote in California, an individual must be a United States citizen, a resident of California, and 18 years of age or older on Election Day (16- and 17-year-olds may pre-register). Additional limitations may apply. In order to vote in a Grover Beach election, or nominate a candidate for a Grover Beach election, an individual must be registered to vote at an address in Grover Beach.
- Verify your voter registration status: Visit https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov or call San Luis Obispo County Elections at (805) 781-5228.
- Register or update your voter registration: Visit http://registertovote.ca.gov. Paper voter registration forms are available at San Luis Obispo County elections office, local libraries, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, and US Post Offices.
- Verify the registration deadline for a specific election by visiting the California Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.ca.gov. If you miss the standard registration deadline, you can still register to vote conditionally and cast a ballot up to and including Election Day.
Please visit the Campaign Signs page for more information.
Information about the Grover Beach City Council
Please visit the City Council page for more information.
Navigate Quickly & Easily
City Help Center